Mosque-lamp, made of stonepaste painted in blue, green and black under a transparent glaze; the lamp has a pyriform body with three applied ear-shaped handles and a moulding at the juncture with the trumpet neck, on a spreading profiled foot; it is painted in tones of cobalt blue and grey-green outlined in black with chinoiserie cloud bands alternating with small arabesque knots between pointed green-ground half-cartouches filled with black scrollwork; a similar design is repeated on the neck; inscription bands of differing width feature on the upper and lower body and below the rim: the thuluth script is reserved on a brushed ground of vivid cobalt blue with grey-green infills and tiny scattered rosettes; a Naskh inscription with the date AH 956 appears in a series of cusped oblong cartouches around the foot; a narrow band of small tulip buds in reserve panels on the moulding at the neck; the one extant handle with green scales between scrolled blue strokes. The lamp has an open base.
|1549 (AH 956)|
|Made in: Iznik|
|Height: 38.00 cm Diameter: 22.80 cm Diameter: 15.00 cm (foot)|
|Exhibited: 2000 12 Jun-17 Sept, St Petersburg, The Hermitage 'In the name of the beneficent and merciful' 1999-2000 15 Dec-24 Apr, Amsterdam, De Nieuwe Kerk Museum, 'In the name of the beneficent and merciful'|
|Donated by: Charles Drury Edward Fortnum|
Made for the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. Inscribed with a Hadith (saying) of the Prophet Muhammad comparing the believer in the mosque to a fish in water and a non-believer in the mosque to a bird in a cage. Published as OA18 in a British Museum slide set entitled 'The Turkish Pottery of Iznik' and with a commentary by R. H. Pinder-Wilson (London 1975).
1 of 9